If you are a fan of Chicken Tortilla Soup you have to try this recipe out. I don’t eat meat that often, but when I do it’s in this Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. I actually pulled this out of my old blog and reworked it recently. I’ve included the options to make this dairy-free and vegan as well. Have you tried jackfruit yet? If you’re wanting to you can omit the chicken or try jackfruit instead. I’ve been subbing a lot of meat options for jackfruit lately and haven’t missed meat at all.
The beauty of this Chicken Tortilla Soup is that it’s a crock-pot recipe. I love the crock-pot recipes because it allows time for all the spices and ingredients to combine into an amazing entity of deliciousness. Plus it is healthy, fresh, and nutrient-dense. Enjoy!
Crock-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can diced green chiles medium heat
- 2 vegetarian reduced sodium bullion cubes
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1 package frozen corn
- 2 cup spinach chopped
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
Meat Options and Seasonings
- 1 pound free-range chicken breast (omit for vegan or try 2 cans of shredded jackfruit)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Cajun seasonings
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Grated Mexican cheese (Diary-free options available)
- Sliced avocados
- Sliced scallions
- Cut corn tortillas into strips
- Add all the crock-pot ingredients to the crock-pot.
- For chicken option: In a pan melt 2 tsp. coconut oil and cut chicken into strips and add spices. Stir-fry for on medium heat for about 10-minutes until chicken is no longer pink in the middle For jackfruit option: In a pan melt 2 tsp. coconut oil and use two forks to shred jackfruit in a bowl. Add spices and cook for a few minutes to melt the flavor.
- Combine all ingredients together and cook on high heat for 4 hours or low for 6.