Boost your immune system with this Thai Curry Soup recipe.
Currently, I’m writing this during the Coronavirus pandemic and I’ll tell you something- life is not very easy for us humans right now. Do you ever feel like you’re in the Twilight Zone? Well, this my friend, is kind of like the real-life extended edition of a trilogy. We’re all kind of figuring out how to respond and get through these turbulent times without losing all the marbles we have. We’ve been told to stay home, which often leads to sitting on our couch, but how much Netflix can you really watch before you turn into a zombie?
I’ve been asked by my nutrition clients and students for pearls of wisdom on how to physically and mentally move through these times. Connecting to nature, deep breathing, meditation, yoga, and finding or returning to a creative hobby are some of my gems to tuning back within. It’s imperative to work towards cultivating a little sanity during a completely insane time. I also started an indoor herb garden and will sow vegetable seeds soon. If you have some seed packets around your house throw them in a pot and see what happens. Gardens rule!
One of my personal favorite creative hobbies is getting crafty in the kitchen by using up ingredients that are lingering in the fridge and pantry waiting to be used. Think about the toys in Toy Story – it’s kind of like that! Yes, I’m going a little bonkers, aren’t we all though…
Anyway, this Thai Curry Soup will give you a chance to whip out your crock-pot, try some new spices, and have a party – a social distancing kitchen party that is! So light some candles, pump up the jams, and get to chopping!
Bonus – You’ll have plenty of leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.
Try it out and leave a comment telling me how you liked it. Enjoy!
Thai Curry Soup
- 15 floz 1 can diced tomatoes
- 15 floz 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 32 floz 1 box low sodium chicken broth or veggie broth (for vegan)
- 1 lb free-range chicken or 2 cans jackfruit (for vegan)
- 1 package frozen peas
- 1 large orange, red, or yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup rainbow carrots
- 2 cup mushrooms of choice
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 3 cloves diced garlic
- 3 inch piece of grated finger
- 3 inch piece of diced jalapeño (or as much as you prefer)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp lemon grass
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Add the base ingredients to the crock-pot
- Cut and add the veggies and add spices. Stir
- Cook in the crock-pot for 6-hours on low. Stirring occasionally. Enjoy!