Are you ready to be obsessed with this Jackfruit Coconut Curry Soup?
Jackfruit is a superfood that comes from the largest fruit tree in the world. This beautiful fruit is native to South India and has an impressive nutrition profile that includes antioxidants, fiber, and protein.
If you’ve never tried unripened Jackfruit before I can best describe it as tasting kind of like artichoke hearts. It’s pretty neutral in flavor and has a bulky consistency like most meat. When jackfruit is fully ripe it becomes sweeter like other tropical fruit and you might want to add it to your smoothie or in a summer salad.
When you purchase unripened jackfruit at the store it is usually canned or in packs with water and salt. I always recommend draining and rinsing jackfruit prior to use to reduce the sodium content.
Cooking with Jackfruit
For this recipe, we are using unripened jackfruit, which is a wonderful plant-based alternative to meat. There are so many ways to enjoy jackfruit. Feel free to play around with spicing it up! You can add to a stir-fry or shred it and make vegan “pulled pork” jackfruit tacos or sliders (yum!).
If you’re looking for ways to try out jackfruit or enhance your nutrition and well-being connect with me for a free consult.
My favorite way to enjoy jackfruit is in this coconut curry soup.
If you’re a fan of curry then you absolutely have to try this jackfruit coconut curry soup. It’s full of healthy vegetables and spices and the jackfruit adds a special twist.
Try it out and leave a comment telling me how you liked it. Enjoy!
Check out some of my other recipes with Thai flavors Thai Curry Soup and Pumpkin Coconut Curry Soup and Jessi Kha Soup too!
Jackfruit Coconut Curry Soup
- 4 cans coconut milk lite
- 1 can coconut cream
- 2 cans jackfruit - drain and rinse
- 1/2 green cabbage finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- 1 Japanese sweet potato diced
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 1 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 fresh turmeric minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp green curry paste
- 1/4 tsp lemongrass
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Add all the ingredients to pan, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Adjust ingredients to your preference.
- Prior to eating you can take jackfruit pieces and break them up by separating/shredding them using two forks. Or just enjoy them whole.