Did someone say Italian-style Stuffed Acorn Squash?
Yes, that was me! This recipe is everything you would ever want it to be. You can’t go wrong with the health benefits of acorn squash. It’s filled with antioxidants that fight free radicals, vitamin C to boost your immune system, heart healthy potassium, fiber to aid in digestion, and vitamin A to give your skin a gorgeous glow. Acorn squash gets added bonus points for being sweet and delicious. The simmer sauce blends Italian flavors, fresh vegetables, and high protein meat for a filling treat.
Check out the recipe below and get to cooking, good looking!
Italian Style Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium sized cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups button or shiitake mushrooms cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 can organic pasta sauce
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound ground chicken, beef, or turkey
- Diaya cheese (optional dairy alternative) or your preferred cheese
1 teaspoons of the following seasonings:
- Italian seasonings
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- While pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees.Slice the acorn squash in half length wise and place seed side down in a large casserole dish with 1 inch of water.
- Place squash in oven and set the time for 45-minutes.
- In a wok or large skillet heat up coconut oil on medium heat.
- Add onions to skillet and begin to sauté until the they begin tender, then add in the garlic.
- Stir-fry ground meat of your choice and stir-fry until it is no longer pink.
- Add in zucchini and mushrooms to the skillet and continue to sauté until all ingredients start to become tender.
- Add in the pasta sauce and seasonings.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil on high heat and then turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for the duration of the hour until the squash is cooked completely. You can test out if it is done with a fork. It will be soft.
- Take squash out of the oven and remove seeds. Add in the sauce mixture and top with optional cheese.
Enjoy! If you would like a customized nutrition session please contact me directly.
Recipe content ©2018 Jessica Lee Reader. All rights reserved.